Gender Religion and Caste - Important Terms And Concepts
Category : 10th Class
Gender, Religion and Caste
Important Terms And Concepts
- Gender Division: It is a form of hierarchical social division based on social expectations and stereotypes.
- Sexual Division of Labour: A system in which all work inside the home is either done by the women of the family, or organised by them through the domestic helpers.
- Feminist: A woman or a man who believes in equal rights and opportunities for men and women.
- Patriarchy: It is a concept which is used to refer to a system that values men more and gives them power over women. The society based on this ideology is known as the Patriarchal Society.
- Child Sex Ratio: It is referred to as the number of girl children per thousand boys in a given period.
- Family Laws: Those laws that deal with family related matters such as marriages, divorce, adoption, inheritance, etc. In our country every community has its own family law.
- Urbanisation: The process of shifting of population from rural areas to urban areas for better facility and job opportunities.
- Majoritarian Dominance: The community belonging to a majority category takes the status of majoritarian dominance.
- Occupational Mobility: Process to shift from one occupation to another, usually when a new generation takes up occupations other than those practiced by their ancestors.
- Caste Hierarchy: It is a ladder like formation in which all the caste groups are I placed from the highest to the lowest caste.
- Secular State: A state which has no official religion of its own is known as the secular state. The secular state provide - religious equality and equal status to all religions.
- Secularism: Secularism is an ideology which deals with the equal status to a religions and prohibits discrimination on grounds of religion. It implies religious freedom. People enjoy the right to preach practice or profess a religion of their choice.
- Untouchability: A state of affairs in which some backward and lower cast- people are treated as outcaste people untouchables. They are not allowed to mingle with so-called upper caste.
- Universal Adult Franchise: It implies that Right to Vote is given to every adult citizen of the country. It is one of the political rights of the people. In this
|- "Universal" - signifies-to all,
|- "Adult" - signifies-above 18 years and
|- "Franchise" - signifies right to vote.
- Minorities: The word signifies those groups of people or communities who are lesser in number in a given area.
- Communal Representation: A system of separate electorate for the adequate representation of the people belonging to different communities.
- Social Change: Social change signifies the modification which takes place in the lifestyle of people, i.e., mode of living, the social status, and cultural changes.