Rock and Minerals
- The earth is made up of hard matter called rocks. Rocks are of many shapes, sizes and colours. Pebbles, stones, sand and soils are formed from rocks.
- Granite is a hard and rough rock, reddish or greyish in colour. It is used for making statues and buildings.
- Marble is a hard and beautiful rock. It can be pink, blue, black, grey or white in colour. Pure marble is white. It is used for making statues and buildings.
- Sandstone is not as hard as granite or marble. It is yellow or red in colour and is used for making buildings.
Some rocks are soft. e.g. coal, chalk, graphite and slate.
- Coal is a rock used for burning. Slate is blackish in colour and is used for making blackboards and slates.
Graphite is a soft black rock. The lead of a pencil is made of graphite.
- Diamond is the hardest rock on earth. It is transparent with no colour. It can be used for cutting glass. It is used for making jewellery.