Housing and their Surroundings
Category : 2nd Class
HOUSING AND THEIR SURROUNDINGS
- A house is a place where we live with our family. It protects us from the Sun, wind, rain, animals etc.
- There are many kinds of houses e.g. permanent or pucca house, kuccha houses, huts, tents, caravan, house boat and igloos etc.
- Permanent houses are built of bricks and cement. They last for a long time.
- Kutcha houses are small and are made of mud and straw.
- Huts are temporary houses made of wood, bamboo leaves etc.
- Caravans are houses on wheels. These are also called mobile homes.
- Igloos are houses made by Eskimos with solid ice cubes in semicircular shape. The) have semi- circular roofs.
- People living in plains usually make houses with flat roofs. People living in mountains build houses of wood with sloping roofs.
- Sloping roofs are built in the areas where it rains a lot
- A good house should be clean, airy and have proper ventilators - sunlight and ‘fresh ail keeps the room dry and free from germs.
- Proper drainage system should be there to take away dirty waters, kitchens should have chimneys. Dustbins should be kept for garbage (waste).
- We should keep the surroundings clean. Water should not stagnate here and there as mosquitoes may breed.