11th Class Chemistry Environmental Chemistry

  • question_answer 3) Carbon monoxide is more dangerous than carbon dioxide gas. Why?

    Answer:

    Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous in nature. It combines readily with haemoglobin (it has 200 times more affinity than oxygen). Due to the formation of carboxy haemoglobin, the quantity of oxygen to the body cells gets reduced, i.e., CO reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and this leads to oxygen starvation (anoxia). The deficiency of oxygen produces headache, dizziness, choking, cardiac and pulmonary complications leading to paralysis and death. \[C{{O}_{2}}\] does not combine with haemoglobin. However, it is a greenhouse gas and helps in global warming. Hence, it is a less dangerous pollutant.  


You need to login to perform this action.
You will be redirected in 3 sec spinner